Monday, September 21, 2009

Harvest Time Lessons

It's the end of summer and that means harvesting a lot of what we planted in the Spring.

I'm kind of a new gardner. I've had a lot of success with tomatoes, blue and raspberries, greens, squash and cucumbers. I was excited one day last Spring when my neighbor came over with some potato starts.

Since I had a lot of my garden planted already, I was trying to figure out where to put the potatoes. I had a good spot, with great, rich soil, but it was in the shade.

"Potatoes will grow in the shade. Don't worry about it!" My neighbor insisted. Since she grew up on a farm on the Idaho border, I believed her. I plopped them in the ground. Watered diligently, followed her very specific directions about "hilling" the potatoes.

As you can see, potatoes do "grow" in the shade, but they sure don't thrive there. My spuds were about the size of beans. Oh well, there's always next year...

No comments: