Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Hanging Out with Butches


Even though I am clearly butch-identified and even write from the butch perspective for a living, I'm sad to admit that I don't have a lot of butch friends in my day-to-day life. Most of my butch gals live elsewhere. Sure, we text each other when the Stanford women play basketball and meet up in SF every year for the dyke march, but really, it's not enough.

So I was super excited when my old pal Evan decided to start the "Butch Crew" after attending the Butch Voices conference in Oakland this summer. The Butch Crew is a monthly meeting of butches to talk about gender and identity and situations butches encounter, like bathroom problems or dating other butches. And it's awesome!

I missed the first meeting because I was on some lesbian cruise, but was able to meet up with the gals this past weekend. And I'm looking forward to many more gatherings. If you're in Portland and are a female-identified butch, please join us:
Sunday, January 10
Time:3:00PM Sunday, January 10th
Location:Flying Cat Coffee Co., 3041 SE Division St. Portland.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a terrific idea! As a femme who swoons for butch dykes, I would think I had died and gone to heaven if I happened to be grabbing a coffee during your meet-up time :) Best to you all!

Anonymous said...

Uh yeah, can we come to ogle the hotness? :-)