The Perfect Dinner Party—Five People We’d Like to Have Over For Dinner
- Pat Summit, head coach of the Tennessee Lady Volunteers basketball team, the winningest coach in college basketball history, male or female. She might have to step out to take a call from a recruit.
- Suzanne Westenhoefer, who is the funniest lesbian in America and will help keep conversation flowing (and will make jokes about Pat, while she’s out of the room).
- Kate Kendell, head of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, who will inspire us to get active.
- Michelle Obama, who will appreciate my homegrown organic salad and might get into a debate on DOMA with Kate and Rachel.
- Rachel Maddow, who every lesbian in America (and plenty of straight folks, too) wants to sit next to. She’ll bring an excellent bottle of bourbon.
- Rachel Maddow, political watchdog and host of MSNBC show, whose femme wife will tag along so we can discuss winter fashions.
- Anne Murray, love song crooner/possible closet-dweller, who will break out into song in-between dinner and dessert.
- Ellen Degeneres¸ animal advocate/talk show host, who will bring several mutts to entertain our dog Harvey during dinner. I’ll sit her next to Sarah McLachlan, as they’re best friends and probably haven’t seen each other in awhile.
- Sarah MacLachlan¸ singer/songwriter, who lives nearby and can bring an Indian appetizer (her children are half East Indian). After some wine, maybe she’ll sing a duet with Anne by the roaring fire.
- Wanda Sykes, comedian, who will appreciate the wine we’ve poured Sarah. “The David” from Del Dotto, a winery I saw Sykes at last summer in Napa Valley.