Sunday, December 2, 2007

What I'm Doing Today


It's a windy, rainy nasty day here in Oregon. Which is just fine with me. It's a perfect day to stay inside and watch Women's College Basketball.

I'm especially excited to watch the Duke/Penn State game. Penn State has a new coach: Coquese Washington. Washington is replacing long-time Penn State coach Rene Portland who for years has been accused of discriminating against lesbian players. She resigned last year after 27 years as head coach. I practically threw a party when I head she was leaving the game.

I don't know Coquese personally, but she did play in Portland for the Portland Power of the ABL. I met her once with a gaggle of lesbians and she didn't give off a homophobic vibe.

There is just no more room for homophobia is sports. Especially women's sports. I hope the whole Rutgers/Don Imus debacle last year has elevated the respect for the women's game. That's a picture of Rutger's amazing coach C. Vivian Stringer on my TV. I've always been impressed with her, one of the few women of color head coaches. She's one of my role models.

I'm sure this will be one of many basketball posts as the season goes on. I could go on and on, but I've got to turn on the game.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is only somewhat random, but I thought I'd share:

Did you know that discrimination against lesbians really started to happen a lot in the 1920's? It makes me kinda sad because it's my favourite time period, but it sucks for us lesbians.

I good place to read about it and to read about the "new woman" is a fantastic book by Joshua Zeitz called "Flapper." Find! I'm sure there's a copy in Powell's. :D

Unknown said...

i have a HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE crush on you Dipstick!!!!!