Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Heart Creative People

Last night was awesome. I met up with a few friends at Portland's Q Literati event, where LGBT writers come to read and listen to established and up-and-coming literary types read from their works. There were some funny essays, an intro to a mystery, a scary erotic piece and a few short stories. But the highlight of the evening for me was hearing Tom Spanbauer read from his book Now is the Hour.  

Tom Spanbauer is an amazing gay writer, who has the ability to transport you from where ever you are into the heart, head and body of his characters. His command of storytelling and the rhythm of language is inspirational. I urge you to check him out, if you're not already a fan. 

My friends and I were standing outside The Q Center, shivering and saying goodbye when  I heard a train coming.   I groaned, knowing it was going to block access to my car and I would have to wait for it to pass. But instead of getting upset, my friend Elizabeth got inspired. She raced toward the train, camera in hand and directed me where to stand. The result was this awesome photo.

Yeah, I need to hang out with people like this more often.




© Photo by Elizabeth Taylor

No comments: