Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Now Get Back to Work


What a week it's been here in the Rose City. Word came down, just as Obama was taking office, that our number one official, openly gay Mayor Sam Adams had an affair with an 18 year old back in 2005 and lied about it. 

I don't necessarily condone a 42-year-old man to having sex with an 18-year-old, but there was nothing illegal about it. The 18-year-old pursued Sam. Sam was single at the time. 

 I don't think it was okay for the media to ask him about his relationships in the first place. I just wish Sam would have said, "I have never had sex with an underage person and my personal life is my personal life." Instead he lied. Like Bill Clinton, I guess. 

But not like Clinton, because Sam is not married and didn't have sex with Beau Breedlove in his office at City Hall. 

Sam lied because he wanted to be Mayor. And this I understand. Sam lied because of homophobia, especially internalized homophobia.  Which is something that I think only GLBT people can understand. The first time someone asked me if I was a lesbian, I'm sure I denied it. And I've probably lied about sex, too. Who hasn't? Fortunately, I don't have weekly tabloids grilling me about my liaisons

People in Portland went crazy, calling for Sam to resign. Yesterday he made the decision not to resign, and to return to work. 

I support Sam. He made a mistake. He had sex a few times with a hot guy. Then lied about it. But there was nothing illegal about it. And I don't think it has any impact on his ability to be Mayor. Let's hope the people of Portland come around, and judge Sam for the work he does at City Hall and not for one brief lapse of judgement. 

(Photos: Top: Sam Adams at No on Prop 8 Rally in Portland, November, Bottom: Sam Adams supporters rally at City Hall on Friday.)

2 comments:

Alana Noel Voth said...

I support, Sam too.

Peace,
A

BerengariaD said...

I agree completely with your sentiments. Get to work, Sam!