Monday, May 19, 2008

Getting Close to the Candidates


A few days ago I got a phone call from KGW, one of our local news stations. The woman on the line said they were looking to speak to Democrats who hadn’t voted yet. As you may know, in Oregon we have a vote-by-mail system. Even though our primary is May 20th, I had filled out and turned in my ballot a day before the call. So, I told the KGW lady I had just voted. I assumed they were doing a poll or something like that. She thanked me for my time and hung up.

Later I found out that they were calling people to invite them to a town hall meeting with Hillary Clinton. I was THIS close to sitting in a room with Hillary and 75 other people. UGH! I was kicking myself the whole time it was on TV. But damn did she look smart in that pant suit. And forget how she looked, the woman is brilliant.

After missing Hillary, when I heard Barack Obama was going to be speaking at the Waterfront on Sunday, I knew I couldn’t miss that. Even though I already voted, this was an opportunity to see the man who could be the next president up close and personal. Well, apparently 75,000 other people had the same idea. So, no, I didn’t get that close to either candidate, but let's hope that come November, one of them is close to Pennsylvania Avenue. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, yes!