Friday, September 28, 2007

Lucy Jane

Lucy Jane Bledsoe is an author whose books I adore. She puts words together in ways I can only do in my dreams. She grew up in Portland and every time she writes a new book, which seems like all the time, she comes and reads at Powell’s, our favorite independent bookstore. Every time I go. But because she grew up here, I think I’m the only one in the audience that she doesn’t know.

This year, I decided, is the time I finally go and introduce myself to her. After all, I’m a writer. I have my first book coming out next month. At least it will be some way to break the ice, to have something to say to her, other than, “It’s Kathy with a ‘K’.”

So, I go to the reading and the place is packed with old high school buddies, parents of high school buddies, old high school teachers, and parents of old high school teachers. I find a seat in the back, wedged between her mom and a very pretty girl I imagine she had a crush on in high school. From what I can tell, there’s only one other lesbian in the audience. Probably her first girlfriend. Or her current girlfriend. I have no idea.

I like to think I’m all suave and you know, Dipstick. So after the reading is over, I casually saunter up to the signing table and leaf through a book as Lucy Jane hugs an old high school pal. I see her see me, lurking, the only person she doesn’t know and perhaps the only one who is actually going to buy a book today. I pretend I’m looking at the book, but then she pulls herself away from her aunt and asks if I’d like the book signed. I have everything practiced in my mind of what I want to say, “Hi, I’m a writer too. Yup, my first book is coming out next month. You’ve been an inspiration to me. I love all your books…”

But instead, I turn beat red and the only words I manage to get out are, “It’s Kathy with a ‘K’.”
Go check out Lucy Jane Bledsoe’s new book: Biting the Apple.

No comments: