Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My New Year's Resolution


I've never been a big believer in New Years Resolutions. I'm a goal setter and dream manifester, but that is a daily ritual fully-embedded in my life, not a list I whip up on January 1st.

But this year is different. This year I've made one resolution and I'm going to stand firmly by it. It's simple: To make sure this man to the right, Mike Huckabee, or anyone like him, is NOT elected as our next President. He's an even more alarming choice than George W (dare I say) and he could do even more damage to the fabric of our basic rights as Americans...especially to the homos. And guess what, people, he's in the lead in Iowa. See what he's got to say about homosexuals (is there a separation of church and state?) and about criminalizing abortions in this video clip.


Now, I've never really been a political person. Sure, I give money each year to various causes, and Texas and I asked for donations to HRC in lieu of presents for our wedding, but I'm not really a soldier. It's just not in my genes. Dipstick, on the other hand, is a soldier. Growing up, she was spoon fed activism by her parents and has lived her life according. I respect this tremendously about her. For me, however, this next election is different because I know fully realize what's at stake. As Americans, it's our happiness; it's our quality of life. And in the end, it's our future.

If you've already made your New Years Resolutions, throw out your weight loss goals, or your resolutions to do yoga more often, and join the cause! And let's do everything we can to make sure someone like Mike Huckabee doesn't take the reigns after Bush leaves office. No matter who wins the nomination -- whether it's Hillary, or Obama or Kuccinich (I wish!) -- get behind them and fight the good fight.

No comments: