Thursday, June 11, 2009

Vote for Lesbian Filmmaker


A LESBIAN FILMMAKER NEEDS YOUR VOTE


I received this in my inbox today:
My name is Dee Rees and I'm reaching out to you because I'm currently writing/directing a coming-of-age film about a black, lesbian teenager called PARIAH. PARIAH seeks to personalize the struggles of gay/lesbian youth of color in such a way that evokes empathy, opens doors to communication, and promotes dialogue within families.  The short film of the same title screened at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival and has won numerous festival awards both domestically and abroad.

PARIAH is a semi-finalist in the Netflix FIND Your Voice Competition, but it's a very close race and I could really use your support in order to raise awareness for the project. PARIAH is the only African-American, gay project in the running and we really need voices across all communities to show the film industry that we want to see this story and more stories like this represented onscreen.
 
Please support us by visiting http://www.netflixfindyourvoice.com to view and vote for our trailer. Only the top 5  projects in this round move on, and we're currently in 6th place and hanging on by a thread... Our goal is to get 10,000 stars, so any support you could lend us in getting this out to the broader LGBT community would be amazing.

 
Warmest, Dee Rees, Writer/Director


I voted and I hope you will too.

No comments: