Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dipstick Hits the Slopes


Yesterday I went skiing for the first time since high school. Lipstick quipped yesterday about me being in urgent care and I have to admit, the thought did cross my mind a few times, especially walking around Whistler Village and seeing people hobbling along on crutches or with their arms in slings. It HAD been a long time since I strapped on skis.

But with only a tiny bit of trepidation, I met up with Ken, my ski instructor for the day. He came highly recommended, and so I knew I was in good hands. After a quick review of the snow plow and a few turning tips on turning, we were off! I was amazed at how quickly it all came back to me. And at how much fun it was. To be out on the mountain, on a beautiful day, zipping down the slopes. Okay, maybe zipping is a bit of an exaggeration, but I was pretty pleased that I didn't fall once.

That is until the end of the day, on my last run, where I fell twice. Either I got too cocky, or I was just tired. Either way, I didn't end up in urgent care and the whole day was a blast. Especially riding up to the top of the mountain and seeing where the Olympic runs will happen in 2010.

Today Lipstick and I are going to cram into the new Peak to Peak gondola with a bunch of drag queens and Mr. Gay World contestants. That should be a lot of fun! And later, I understand there's a lesbian couple who needs some relationship advice from Lipstick & Dipstick. Stay tuned....

No comments: