Thursday, February 19, 2009

Inspired

The other day a columnist for our local paper told the story of a high school girls basketball team that not only lost every game, often by more than 30 points, but hardly had any support from fans or family. The school is in a low income neighborhood and there were many obstacles parents had to overcome to be able to make it to a game. Some of the girls even had to quit the team to get jobs. 

When I heard about the story, I wanted to go and watch the Roosevelt Girls final game and support them. I was bummed when I learned it was taking place at the same time as a family birthday celebration that I couldn't get out of.  

I wasn't able to be there, but 1600 other people crowded into the high school gym to cheer for the Roosevelt Roughriders. 

I was inspired this morning  to learn not just that people came to support a disadvantaged girl's athletic team, but that the words of one writer could move them to do so.

Check it out:

Roosevelt girls triumph










No comments: