Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Small Town Gay Pride


Check it out! Lipstick and Dipstick make the front page news of Lincoln City News Guard. Which is strange, because Lipstick wasn't even there. Even without her, Lincoln City Gay Pride was a blast. Somehow I think that small coastal town is never going to be the same after the drag queens came to town.












The weekend started off with a fireside clam bake. What lesbian doesn't love clams? Here Diane Anderson-Minshall enjoys clams with comedians Jackie Monahan and Lisa Kaplan .


The thing about Pride in a small town is that everyone is so excited about it. That and where else would queers submit themselves to a pie eating contest? As I hung out at the booth selling books, I had so many people come up and tell me how great it was that Lincoln City was having a Pride Event.  I met the sweetest butch named Meredith, a volunteer firefighter, city planner and huge Lipstick & Dipstick fan. Ran into friends Debra and Mary Ann from Portland who have a beach house in Lincoln City. Mary Ann *almost* won the pie eating contest. Some shirtless dude barely beat her.


Nel Ward and Sue Hardesty, partners of 40 years and publishers of The Butch Cookbook kept me company most of the day. We remembered that I had stayed in their Bed and Breakfast years ago, when their dog broke into our room and stole all of Juneau's dog cookies. It really is a small lesbian world, especially at a small town gay pride.

There was no parade, but that didn't dampen the spirits. The weather was perfect, the entertainment fun and even the mayor came to all the events.

My weekend ended with a fun comedy show. The only downer was the drunk lesbian heckler who had to be removed by security after she tried to remove her shirt. Poor thing, she was probably overcome with seeing more than 100 lesbians in a room at one time. Lisa Kaplan and Jackie Monahan were tons of fun. If you get a chance to check them out, please do. Here I am hanging out in the VIP area (ie: the front row) with my new friends. Thank you Lincoln City. I can't wait to be back next year.

No comments: